Quickdraw is hiring a Graphic Designer for an eight-week contract
Apply by July 16, 2021
This is an eight-week contract at 35 hours per week, starting on or around August 1, 2021. The hourly wage is $16.50, and duties will take place at Quickdraw’s studios in Sunalta, COVID regulations permitting.
A not-for-profit artist-run centre in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, the Quickdraw Animation Society is a place for people who love animation. We encourage animation production, dissemination and appreciation through screenings, workshops, courses, camps, and other events designed to ignite the public’s passion for the medium, including our GIRAF animation festival held each November.
The Illustrator and Graphic Designer will be responsible for creating promotional material for Quickdraw’s programs and events. Depending on the skill set of the employee, this will range from the updating of existing materials, to the generation of posters and social media images based on existing internal style guides, to the creation of new logos and branding materials for recurring programs that don’t currently have a consistent brand identity. The primary duties of this role may include:
- Updating the website and program guide template of our annual animation festival, GIRAF, to reflect the imagery and style of this year’s festival poster and trailer
- Creating templates for images to accompany social media posts promoting GIRAF
- Creating new logos for Quickdraw’s Animation Lockdown, Student Screenings, and other recurring programs
- Creating imagery for a newly redesigned Quickdraw website, based on established branding guidelines
- Creating posters, handouts and other promotional materials for Quickdraws courses for youth and adults
- Suggesting other ways to enhance Quickdraw’s visual presentation and overall visibility
- We’re a small team, so excellent communications skills, the ability to work independently, demonstrated good judgment and initiative are all essential
- We provide a welcoming environment for members from diverse backgrounds; must be open-minded, with strong interpersonal skills
- You’ll be working on multiple tasks with a variety of deadlines; organizational and time-management skills are a must
- Excellent design skills (including layout, typography, and illustration) are essential, as is knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of animation (in any medium) is required. Knowledge of animation software such as Toon Boom, Flash, AfterEffects, Dragonframe etc. is a major asset
- Creativity and a willingness to learn—we want to give you access to our equipment and be blown away by what you do with it
- Candidates who are interested in animation as an art form and who are pursuing a career in animation or media arts will be given preference.
This position is an eight-week contract, 35 hours per week, with an hourly wage of $16.50. The position may involve a mix of remote work and working at Quickdraw’s Sunalta studios.
Applications must include a cover letter outlining your interest and suitability and a current resumé or CV, as well as a portfolio of your work.
Please send your application including resume and cover letter before 5pm on Friday, July 16, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “QUICKDRAW ANIMATION Graphic Designer 2021”.
This position is funded through Canada Summer Jobs. All applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 30, and must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment.
We welcome applications from all qualified parties, and especially encourage applications from members of diverse communities, BIPOC artists, and artists from D/deaf and disability communities. If you have any concerns or hesitations about this posting, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the email address above.
We thank you for your interest. All applications will be confidential.