Animation Link Roundup: April 12, 2022
3D scanning on your phone, a new "Innovation Centre" in Calgary, and an adorable trailer, plus other news from the world of animation
• The presence of Oscar-winning director Patrick Osborne would be a good enough reason to pay attention to new series This Tape Deck is a Time Machine, but the Unreal-assisted real-time animation is what really makes it worth digging into
• Speaking of the Unreal engine, parent company Epic Games has announced a free 3D scanning mobile app aimed at making 3D photogrammetry way more straightforward (and providing more goods for its online marketplace, Sketchfab)
• Big news for Calgary: 3D platform Unity has announced it's opening a 25,000 sq. ft. "Innovation Centre" in our downtown—and we look forward to finding out what that means
• Richard Linklater's third animated feature, Apollo 10 1/2, is now available on Netflix and has a 92% fresh rating on Rottentomatoes, where they say it finds the director "reusing visual and thematic ingredients in a deeply personal, freshly inspired way."
• Phil Lord and Chris Miller wrote a piece for Variety on their frustration with the Oscars' dismissive attitude towards animation
The new trailer for the Marcel the Shell with Shoes On feature is easily the most heartwarming thing that A24 has put into the world—with animation by past GIRAF visiting artist Kirsten Lepore