GIRAF is a celebration of independent animation, a showcase of the best of what's being made here in Canada and around the world, back in-person at the Globe Cinema
Visit the event website to learn more
November 17, 2022 – November 20, 2022
In-person at Globe Cinema and QAS HQ
Globe Cinema 617 8 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2P 1H1
Festival runs Nov. 17-20, 2022
The lineup has been released and tickets are now available for the 18th Giant Incandescent Resonating Animation Festival (GIRAF), an annual event hosted by Calgary’s Quickdraw Animation Society. For our 18th festival, we are moving back to in-cinema screenings and we can't be more excited to share 60+ short films, 2 workshops, 4 features, and many other hangout, Q and A's and other chances to engage with the wonderful medium of animation as well as the community here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.. Join us November 17- 19 at the Globe Cinema; Nov 20th at the QAS Studios and from Nov. 21 - 27th we will be offering a select short film packages via an online Video-On-Demand service. Welcome back to GIRAF.
- Featured artist Evan DeRushie (Birdlime, Little Prince) leading two amazing workshops. One workshop focusing on animating stop motion 3D armatures, and another workshop focusing on how to light your sets
- 60 short films and 4 features!
- Homegrown Heroes, a special shorts pack that celebrates our own community and local artists! Including Michelle Longpre, William Dyer, Ana Pinero, Maedeh Mosavarzadeh, Anthony Stewart, Tank Standing Buffalo, and all of our community members that took part in the BuckingJam Palace joint project "Toones!"! At the end of the pack we will be having a special Artist Q&A, to celebrate the wonder that is local artistry in Calgary.
- A screening of Claydream, the Marq Evans documentary about Will Vinton's career, including the highs and the lows.
- A special showcase of Alla Gadassik's research in Graphite animation.
- Festival artwork and trailer by Calgary-based artist and animator Kade Masterson and design work done by Harrison Sirois!
- A marketplace on the second floor of the Globe with local artists selling their awesome wares!
Individual tickets to all GIRAF screenings and artist talks are $10. A full festival pass is $60. For the Online run from Nov 21-27, you can buy all of the screenings for $20.