JOB CALL: GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Calgary Animated Objects Society is looking for a Graphic designer for a Canada Summer Jobs position!
A creative person who is willing to learn, is comfortable with technology and interested in animation as an art form, pursuing a career in animation or media arts— we want to give you access to our equipment and be blown away by what you do with it.
Due to funding restrictions: you must be under 30 year of age to qualify for this Canada Summer Jobs funded position.
The activities will take place over the summer and finish by September 3, 2022.
What is CAOS?
Calgary Animated Objects Society (CAOS) is dedicated to the art of puppetry, mask, and animated objects.
We create and present performances, films, events, and educational experiences via inclusive, community-building experiences.
For more information visit animatedobjects.ca.
This position is an eight-week contract, 35 hours per week, to a maximum of 280 hours, with an hourly wage of $18.00. The position may involve a mix of remote work and working on location in Sunalta.
The Graphic Designer will be responsible for creating promotional material for programs and events. Depending on the skill set of the employee, this will range from the updating of existing materials, to the generation of posters and social media images based on existing internal style guides, to the creation of new logos and branding materials for recurring programs that don’t currently have a consistent brand identity. The primary duties of this role may include:
- Updating the website and program guide template of our annual festival, to reflect the imagery and style of this year's festival poster and trailer.
- Creating templates for images to accompany social media posts promoting the festival.
- Creating new logos for other recurring programs.
- Creating imagery for website, based on established branding guidelines.
- Creating posters, handouts, and other promotional materials for courses for youth and adults.
- Suggesting other ways to enhance visual presentation and overall visibility.
- Need a valid driver's license. Access to a reliable car is a strong positive.
- Ability to travel.
Security and Safety: Bondable
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrate good judgement and initiative.
- Organizational and time-management skills.
- Excellent design skills.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of animation (in any medium) is required.
- Knowledge of animation software such as Toon Boom Harmony, Adobe Animate, After Effects, Dragonframe etc.
Due to the restrictions of the funder, please only apply if you are under 30 years of age. (Apologies to interested artists over the age of 30. We know this policy is discriminatory, but our hands are tied by our funding agreement).
To apply please send a resume, cover letter and portfolio of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Animator/Poster Artist 2022”. We strongly recommend that you include animation examples in your portfolio.
Deadline to apply is Monday, July 4, 2022, 11:59PM MST
Earliest Start Date: July 12th, 2022
End Date: up to September 3, 2022
Rate of Pay: $18.00
Temporary, full-time days, some weekends, nights, evenings.
To be eligible, youth must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**.
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*The youth must be 15 years of age or older at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student’s time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour market.
We welcome applications from all qualified parties, and especially encourage applications from members of diverse communities, BIPOC artists, and artists from D/deaf and disability communities. If you have any concerns or hesitations about this posting, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the email address above.
We thank you for your interest. All applications will be confidential.