JOB CALL: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
QAS is seeking an organized and collaborative individual to lead our community in the role of Executive Director
Term: Permanent, 4 days a week
Application Deadline: August 26, 2022
The Quickdraw Animation Society is a member-driven, artist-run centre dedicated to all things animated. Through production facilities and opportunities, educational offerings for all ages, and year-round screenings and exhibitions, QAS fosters a creative community that furthers animation arts and culture in new and unimagined directions.
QAS is seeking an organized and collaborative individual to aid our community in the role of Executive Director.
The Executive Director holds a key leadership position at the Quickdraw Animation Society. Reporting to the board of directors, the Executive Director assumes responsibility for carrying out the organization's vision, mandate, policies, and strategic goals. This position is responsible for the operational, administrative, and financial management of the organization. The Executive Director acts as a leader and champion of the Quickdraw community, working in collaboration with staff, artists, members and volunteers to advance the art of animation and animators in Treaty 7 land, Mohkinstsis, Calgary Alberta and beyond.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Operational Leadership and Management
- Carries out the day-to-day operations of the Society
- Hires, manages and evaluates staff, contractors, instructors and interns.
- Ensures QAS facilities and resources are operational and available to our community through proactive management
- Executes any lease renewals, tax exemptions, and all other business-related contracts or applications.
- Manages the Society's paperwork and filing, to ensure continuity of records
- Drives community by facilitating open communication and positive working relationships between staff, membership, volunteers, students, and board members.
- Collaborates and QAS Staff to develop and execute annual programming, production and education opportunities to the membership that align with the organization's mandate, vision, and strategic plan.
- Advances Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility (EDIA) efforts at QAS, including training and policy revisions.
- Maintains a welcoming and positive culture at QAS for all staff, contractors, members, students, volunteers and patrons.
Financing Administration and Fundraising
- Manages the day-to-day financial duties for the organization through sound bookkeeping procedures, in conjunction with our accountant.
- Handles all accounts payable and receivable (payroll, invoices, rent, utilities, operational expenses, etc)
- Creates and administers annual budgets and long-term forecasts; identifies opportunities for revenue growth
- Secures funding for operations and programming through operational and project grants, revenue-generating programs, partnerships, and fundraising.
- Organizes and staffs ongoing casino fundraisers.
- Reports to QAS Board of Directors and attends all board meetings; works with board to develop and revise policies, plans, and strategic goals
- Guides staff on implementation of the organization’s policies and goals
- Ensures organizational compliance to all legal, regulatory, and financial requirements
Marketing and Communications
- Coordinates external communications, press relations and marketing needs for the organization’s offerings through newsletters, our website, social media, and other marketing avenues, either directly or in collaboration with staff
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role
- Relevant educational and/or work experience, preferably in the arts or non-profit sectors
- Administrative and financial management experience, including use of QuickBooks
- Proven success with grant applications (both operational and project based)
- Experience working with boards in a non-profit setting
- A solid understanding of the local, provincial, national, and international arts ecosystems within which QAS operates
- Communications experience (newsletters, press releases, social media management)
- A community-oriented mindset
- A commitment to the importance of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility in the arts, and to reducing systemic barriers to participation at QAS
- An enthusiasm for animation and its many forms
Animation production or filmmaking experience, curatorial/film programming experience, or experience as an educator/instructor is considered an asset for this role, but not required.
QAS is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from diverse candidates, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, age, or ability. We encourage interested candidates to apply even if you feel your qualifications do not strictly match this posting, we would still love to hear from you. If you require any accommodations for your application, or have any questions or concerns about applying, please reach out to the Hiring Committee at email@example.com .
This position requires on-site work, though hybrid work-from-home is possible. This is not a remote position. The successful candidate will reside in the Calgary area for the duration of employment. We are open to candidates from away, but please be aware that we cannot pay for relocation costs.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a police check and a vulnerable sector check.
This is a permanent staff position, working a 30-hour (4-day, 7.5 hour days) workweek, with an annual salary of $50,000. Overtime may be occasionally required throughout the year depending on operational needs, but will be compensated through time-off in lieu. The position comes with flexible health benefits, professional development funds, three weeks of paid vacation, and access to our library and production resources.
Interviews with long-listed candidates will be held online. Final interviews with short-listed candidates will ideally be held in-person at the QAS studios. Interviews will be held early September 2022.
We hope the successful candidate can begin mid-September 2022.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to the attention of the QAS HR Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “QAS Executive Director Application: Your Name”.
Feel free to include links to any artistic works, portfolios, or writing work if relevant to your application, but as this is primarily an administrative position, portfolio materials are not required to apply.
Applications will be accepted until August 26, 2022, or until a suitable candidate is found.
For more information about our organization, please visit our website at www.quickdrawanimation.ca .