GIRAF is a celebration of independent animation, a showcase of the best of what's being made here in Canada and around the world, in-person at the Globe Cinema and online for select dates
Visit the event website to learn more
November 16, 2023 – November 19, 2023
In-person at Globe Cinema and QAS HQ
Globe Cinema 617 8 Ave SW, Calgary, AB T2P 1H1
Festival runs Nov. 16-19, 2023
The lineup has been released and tickets are now available for the 19th Giant Incandescent Resonating Animation Festival (GIRAF), an annual event hosted by Calgary’s Quickdraw Animation Society. For our 18th festival, we are moving back to in-cinema screenings and we can't be more excited to share 60+ short films, 3 artist talks, a cameraless animation workshop, 3 features, and many other hangout, Q and A's and other chances to engage with the wonderful medium of animation as well as the community here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.. Join us November 16- 18 at the Globe Cinema; Nov 19th at the QAS Studios and from Nov. 20 - 27th we will be offering a select short film packages via an online Video-On-Demand service. Welcome back to GIRAF.
- Featured artist Emily Pelstring (Petal to the Metal) leading a cameraless animation workshop with photograms! Also check out her retrospective and Artist Talk, "Animation as Witchcraft: Magic, Animism, and the Assemblage"
- Northern Blend, a special shorts pack that celebrates our own community and local artists! Including our CJM Scholarship winner Sacha Michaud's film Camping, and the world premiere of an amazing collaboration with the Gunaha Institute, Cut Knife Creek!
- A screening of the first two episodes of Scavenger's Reign with an exclusive live Zoom call with the creators Sean Buckelew and Joseph Bennett preceding the screening.
- Festival artwork and trailer by Calgary-based technical artist and 3D master Sohfi Janz, and design work by Harrison Sirois again!
- A marketplace on the second floor of the Globe with local artists selling their awesome wares through Tigerstedt!
Individual tickets to all GIRAF screenings and artist talks are $10. A full festival pass is $60. For the Online run from Nov 21-27, you can buy all of the screenings for $20.